Formerly known as the Philadelphia Crematorium, construction on the original columbarium began in 1887 and was completed in the Spring of 1888 with the first cremation taking place on May 1, 1888. It was the first of its kind to open in Philadelphia and the 9th crematorium in the United States. The crematory then developed the surrounding 30 acres creating Chelten Hills Cemetery.


Chelten Hills Cemetery – All Rights Reserved